Thursday, May 3, 2012

Finding the discipline

My first race was the Allstate 13.1 Half-marathon in New York about a month ago on the last weekend of March. I signed up for this race in early November. The registration took place a few days after a group of us traveled around Brooklyn and Manhattan, trying to catch multiple sightings of our loved ones on the streets, running the ING NYC Marathon. The energy of the crowds that day, even at the more humble spots like mile 19 in east Harlem, was enough of a push for me to register.

I made simple monthly goals. I needed to get used to running five miles by the end of November. December would be my month to hit seven. January, nine. February, eleven. And I would run the thirteen at the end of March.

My focus was on avoiding injuries and finishing the long course. A fast pace was out of the picture. So was strength-training. I didn't want to strain myself. I thought I was fine, and in the end, I was fine.

This full marathon seems a bit different. I'm slowly coming to grips with the fact that I have to find some form of cross-training or strength-training - and actually do it for as long of a stretch prior to the marathon.
I think I've found something - ballet cardio - and I suppose a good practice is to do little work outs on the days I don't run. Like today.

I came home, dinner plans cancelled and an evening freed up to go on my second run since the half (needless to say, I haven't started training). I got into full running gear only to find that my shoes weren't in my apartment - or maybe they are, and they're hiding really well. Of course, an inner glee rose. "I don't have to run today!" That glee quickly went away as what followed was an excruciating 15 minutes of back-and-forth: "I should run today..." - "I don't have to run today..." - "But I should run today - mrrm..." - "There's always tomorrow..."

Eventually, I made the decision to do the cardio.

Afterward, I ordered a somewhat healthy dinner from a Malaysian restaurant.

It's a nice thought to imagine myself becoming more disciplined, but I realize much of this discipline will be found in the smallest and most boring decisions I make on a daily basis.

No comments:

Post a Comment